So, today I started off with dehydrating (and slow-baking) green beans but was unsuccessful. Then I experimented with a new biscuit formula and it wasn’t quite right. Finally, success! This lima bean soup was simply divine. Instead of split peas I used lima beans and incorporated it with my mirepoix and vegetable stock. Lima beans are so underrated. I increased the protein by topping it with toasted pumpkin seeds and adding 1 1/2 cups wild rice. Then vitamin C with the cherry tomatoes. It is delicious!
Here is the recipe:
Lima Bean Soup
7 cups lima beans, fresh or frozen and thawed
5 cups vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dry mustard
2 cups onions, minced
4 celery stalks, finely diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
5 medium garlic cloves, minced
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp sunflower oil
1 Tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp salt, to taste
1 1/2 cup wild rice cooked according to package directions
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
6 cherry tomatoes halved
1. Saute onion, garlic and carrot in oil in large pot for about 5 minutes until translucent.
2. Add lima beans and seasoning and stir.
3. Add vegetable stock and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
4. Pour about half of the mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
5. Add this pureed mixture back to the non-pureed and stir to combine over low heat. Add the bay leaf and wild rice and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes.
6. Toast pumpkin seeds in cast iron skillet.
7. To serve, top soup bowls with toasted pumpkin seeds and cherry tomato halves.