These delicious vegan dumplings will make you forget all about those regular ole chicken and dumplings. They have sun-dried tomatoes, green onions and are made with whole-wheat pastry flour. Butter beans are used in the broth in place of chicken. This recipe is low-fat but very filling! The entire recipe takes about 45 minutes to make.
Vegetable Dumpling Stew
1/2 Biscuit or Dumpling Dough (see below)
1 can butter beans
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp fennel
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1. Drain and rinse butter beans.
2. Heat medium to large stock pot on medium high and add sunflower oil.
3. Add chopped vegetables to warmed oil and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add vegetable broth and bouillon cube and bring to a boil.
5. Lower to a simmer and add dumplings. Space them evenly so that they can cook through.
6. Let simmer on high for 25 minutes. Dumplings should swell to about four times their original size.
7. Pull a dumpling out to test it. The center should be light and springy.
8. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
Biscuit or Dumpling Dough
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup non-dairy yogurt
2 tbsp non-dairy milk
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup sun Dried Tomatoes, softened and minced
1. If making biscuits, pre-heat oven to 450 F. If making dumplings, bring soup to simmer.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, excluding chopped onion and tomatoes.
3. In a separate smaller bowl combine all wet ingredients.
4. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry.
5. If this is a dumpling dough, fold in onions and tomatoes.
6. For dumpling dough, scoop out 1-inch portions. Re-form them and drop into simmering soup.
7. For biscuit dough, scoop out 1/2 cup portions onto a large, prepared baking sheet.
8. For biscuits, bake for 10 – 15 minutes until light brown.