Most Southerners love grits. I ate it nearly every morning growing up. But here they are treated like firm polenta cakes and grilled. These cakes can be served as a savory breakfast as shown here with broiled tomatoes, sauteed greens (these are broccoli raab from our CSA) and fakin’ bacon. If you’ve got room, you can mash some butter beans and place those next to or under the greens. My husband, who doesn’t even like grits says that these are a “winner” and could be used in place of a bread. Nutritionally, they contain more than 10% of your daily iron quota.
Grilled Cheesy Grit Cakes
4 cups hot cooked instant grits
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 tbspn chopped fresh garlic)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped, or 1 tsp. dry thyme
1 tsp salt (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients and stir well.
2. Spray an 8″ square brownie pan with a little oil.
3. Pour grit mixture into pan and smooth the top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight to let it set until completely cool.
4. Turn the form out onto a cutting board and cut into four squares.
5. Lightly spray grill and cook until you see grill marks on each side (about 3 minutes). Do not move the cakes around and allow plenty of space between them on the grill.
6. Cut each square diagonally into triangles. Serve hot.