My brother used to hate turnip greens. He called them “toilet greens” and I think he really thought that was what they were. We would giggle and dig in (at least I would). However, this is a recipe that I think that he would have loved. The entire prep/cook time is about 15 – 20 minutes but lots of love went into making them.
Sweet and Spicy Turnips and Greens
1 bunch turnips and their greens intact
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon walnut oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tablespoon raisins
2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brush clean turnip bulbs and thoroughly rinse the greens.
2. Cut bulbs clean from greens.
3. Trim bulbs and julienne (fine).
4. Heat oil in non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
5. Add julienned turnip bulbs to the pan and saute for about 3 – 5 minutes.
6. Season with spices.
7. Finely chop the base of the greens (stem ends) and add to the pan. Saute for another 3 minutes.
8. Finally, chop the greens 1″ pieces and add to the pan. Saute until bright green.
9. Add pecans and raisins and stir for another minute or two.
10. Serve immediately.