Humble and tasty, there are many versions of succotash. Here is ours with a sweet and smoky tofu that tastes very similar to ham without the sodium phosphates and artificial preservatives.
1 cup Pickled Beet Juice Tofu
2 cups lima beans, fresh or frozen and thawed
2 cups corn, fresh or frozen and thawed
1 potato, washed and cubed
1 garlic clove, minced
3 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp sunflower oil, separated
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp chipotle powder
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
1. Place pickled beet juice tofu in a medium-sized bowl and pour maple syrup and chipotle powder over. Gently stir to evenly coat.
2. Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
3. Sear tofu pieces on all sides being careful not to burn them. As you cook them, place pieces on a napkin to drain. Clean the bowl used to mix the tofu with the maple syrup and chipotle powder.
4. After cooking tofu, clean pan thoroughly and add more oil or spray. Cook potatoes and garlic for a few minutes making sure that all of the pieces are coated evenly with the oil. Add 1/2 cup of water and continue stirring the potato pieces (approximately 4 – 5 minutes). Remove from pan and clean it again.
5. Spray pan again and add corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute and then add lima beans. Stir mixture. Pour into clean mixing bowl. Clean pan again and spray with oil.
6. Saute the white sections of the green onions for 1 – 2 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and mix all of the ingredients together.
8. Serve warm.